kayhan.ir

News ID: 152927
Publish Date : 21 August 2026 - 23:01

Rosatom: Construction of New Nuclear Power Units in Iran Will Continue

TEHRAN – The head of Russia’s state-owned nuclear energy corporation, Rosatom, has announced that the company will continue implementing its nuclear power projects in Iran despite expanding sanctions and international restrictions, underscoring the continued nuclear cooperation between Tehran and Moscow in the field of electricity generation.
 Alexei Likhachev, CEO of Rosatom, made the remarks in a message to employees on Thursday, marking the 81st anniversary of Russia’s nuclear industry. He said the company continues to operate under growing sanctions and restrictions while moving forward with projects in several countries, including Iran, Egypt, Hungary and India.
Likhachev also said preparations were underway to commission nuclear power plants based on Rosatom designs in Turkey, Bangladesh and China, while new nuclear power plant construction projects were being launched in Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan.
Regarding Iran, nuclear cooperation between Tehran and Moscow has entered a new phase in recent years. Likhachev had previously announced plans to build two new nuclear power units, each with a capacity of 1,000 megawatts, adjacent to the existing Bushehr Nuclear Power Plant.
In October 2025, Tehran and Moscow also signed a memorandum of understanding on cooperation in the construction of small nuclear power plants in Iran. Several days later, an executive agreement was signed for the construction of four advanced third-generation nuclear power units in Sirik, Hormozgan Province, with a reported value of $25 billion.
Likhachev’s latest remarks indicate that Moscow continues to regard the expansion of nuclear electricity generation capacity in Iran as part of its long-term cooperation with Tehran, with plans extending beyond Bushehr to include new projects in other parts of Iran.

captcha