kayhan.ir

News ID: 152842
Publish Date : 18 August 2026 - 22:48

U.S. Navy Destroyer Lost Power for Four Days in South China Sea

WASHINGTON (Dispatches) - The USS Benfold, a U.S. Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer, was left without power for four days in the South China Sea last month after an engineering failure, forcing the vessel to be towed to the Philippines.
The incident occurred on July 24, 2026, while the destroyer was conducting routine operations in the Indo-Pacific, according to Cmdr. Matthew Comer, spokesperson for the U.S. 7th Fleet.
“On July 24, 2026, while conducting routine operations in the Indo-Pacific, Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Benfold (DDG 65) reported an engineering casualty involving its generators, causing a loss of power,” Comer told USNI News in a statement.
The power failure left sailors without air conditioning, toilets, and galley services and also affected the ship’s potable water supply.
Despite the disruption, no injuries were reported among the crew.
“There were no injuries to the crew, who demonstrated resilience, grit, professionalism, and unwavering steadiness in their response,” Comer said.
The George Washington Carrier Strike Group, with which the Benfold had been operating, provided support during the incident. The USS Robert Smalls, a cruiser assigned to the strike group, helped provide meals for the destroyer’s crew while the vessel remained without galley services.
The Benfold was subsequently towed to the Philippines following the engineering failure.
The U.S. Navy has launched an investigation into the cause of the incident, which remains ongoing.
Last week, retired U.S. Army Major Richard Ojeda condemned the administration of U.S. President Donald Trump’s indifference toward the harsh conditions of American troops aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln.
“No commander in chief I have ever served under, democrat or republican has ever had this level of indifference for our troops,” Ojeda wrote in a post published on social media platform X on Sunday.
His remarks come as the Lincoln approaches 260 consecutive days at sea, with about 5,000 sailors and Marines aboard during its extended deployment amid the U.S. aggression against Iran.
Sailors and their families have reported shortages of food, water, and basic supplies, plumbing failures, disrupted mail, and exhausting working schedules.
Reports have also raised concerns over the crew’s mental health, including incidents involving sailors going overboard during the unusually prolonged deployment.

captcha