SANAA (Dispatches) – Yemen's Houthi Ansarullah fighters launched a drone attack on a Saudi military base in the kingdom's border city of Asir on Friday.
Houthi al-Masirah TV said the attack targeted "the Saudi military leadership and a gathering of Saudi troops," without providing further details.
No comments are available yet from the Saudi side on the rebels' claim.
The spokesman for Yemeni Armed Forces says army troopers and allied fighters from Popular Committees made use of a new domestically-developed combat drone in their air raid against Saudi-backed militiamen loyal to former president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi at an air base in the country’s southwestern province of Lahij.
Speaking during a press conference in the capital Sana’a, Brigadier General Yahya Saree said Yemeni soldiers and their allies had attacked Saudi mercenaries at al-Anad Air Base with a Qasef K2 (Striker K2) drone.
He added that the new drone could strike its designated targets from 20 meters away, and that it could carry a large payload of explosive materials.
Saree further noted that dozens of high-ranking Saudi-paid militiamen were killed or injured in the aerial attack, noting that the injured mercenaries were transported by helicopter to Aden German International Hospital in the port city of Aden.
He pointed out that Saudi mercenaries were now in a state of panic and terror as a result of the high-precision military operation, stressing that their commanders would no longer be able to escape unscathed if they continued to serve the aggressors.
Meanwhile, at least nine Saudi-backed militiamen have been killed when Yemeni army soldiers and fighters from Popular Committees launched separate attacks in Saudi Arabia’s southern border region of Jizan as well as the northern Yemeni province of al-Jawf.
The media bureau of Yemen’s Houthi Ansarullah movement said Yemeni forces and their allies fatally shot five Saudi mercenaries in the Wadi Jarrah area of the region, located 966 kilometers south of the Saudi capital Riyadh on Thursday evening.
The Saudi-led war has also taken a heavy toll on the country’s infrastructure, destroying hospitals, schools, and factories. The UN has already said that a record 22.2 million Yemenis are in dire need of food, including 8.4 million threatened by severe hunger. According to the world body, Yemen is suffering from the most severe famine in more than 100 years.
A number of Western countries, the US and Britain in particular, are also accused of being complicit in the ongoing aggression as they supply the Riyadh regime with advanced weapons and military equipment as well as logistical and intelligence assistance.
Houthi fighters ride on the back of a truck as they withdraw, as part of a UN-sponsored peace agreement signed in Sweden earlier this month, from the Red Sea city of Hudaydah, Yemen December 29, 2018.