WEST BANK (Dispatches) – Palestinian political prisoner Kayed al-Fasfous has ended his hunger strike of 131 days after an agreement was reached to end his so-called administrative detention in the Zionist regime’s prison and release him after 23 days.
The occupying regime authorities issued an order on Monday to free him on 14 December.
Fasfous had been on hunger strike in protest against his detention without trial.
Earlier this month, his family said that Fasfous was facing “clinical death” after losing feeling in his lower body and spiking a high fever.
He had been hospitalized at Barzilai Medical Centre in Ashkelon, southern parts of the occupied territories.
Earlier on Monday, 34-year-old Ayad al-Harimi also suspended his hunger strike after 61 days, after Zionist regime authorities agreed to release him in March 2022.
Fasfous, a bodybuilding champion and avid sportsman, had lost 40kg in weight since he launched his hunger strike on 15 July.
The 32-year-old is from Dura village near Al-Khalil, the most populated Palestinian district in the south of the occupied West Bank.
There are 4,600 Palestinian prisoners in the Zionist regime’s jails, 500 of them serving so-called administrative detentions.
Meanwhile, Palestinians on Monday rallied in the West Bank city of Jenin, demanding the return of 90 Palestinian corpses withheld by the Zionist regime for years.
Director of the Palestinian rights group Al-Quds Legal Aid Center Issam Arouri told the rally that apart from keeping 90 corpses in the occupying regime’s morgues, the regime authorities have also buried 254 others in numbered graveyards.
Palestinian Minister of Justice Mohammed al-Shalaldeh plans to pursue this issue at the United Nations, he added.
Palestinian observers believe that the occupying regime is withholding Palestinian corpses as bargaining chips in any future prisoner swap deal.