SAO PAULO (Reuters) - Brazil soccer great Pele said that he was recovering in hospital from surgery to remove a tumor from his colon.
Pele, the only player to win three World Cups, did not say whether the tumor was malignant but the 80-year-old former Santos and New York Cosmos player said he was feeling good.
“Last Saturday I underwent surgery to remove a suspicious lesion in the right colon,” he wrote in a social media post. “The tumor was identified during the tests I mentioned last week.”
The Albert Einstein hospital in Sao Paulo said in a statement that they were keeping Pele in intensive care but expected to transfer him to a room on Tuesday.
The tumor has been sent for tests, it added.