HAVANA (Dispatches) - Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez has held the United States responsible for stirring up violence in his country, saying Washington is using high-tech digital systems to incite protests in the Caribbean island nation.
Rodriguez said Washington sought to generate disorder and instability to fracture the constitutional order and social consensus in Cuba and the harmony of Cubans through the use of powerful and sophisticated instruments.
Rodriguez condemned the campaign promoted from U.S. soil through social media to promote riots and destabilizing acts, warning that such irresponsible conduct could have negative implications for the region and even harm the national interests of the U.S.
The minister said that political circles controlling Washington’s Cuba policy had taken advantage of the harsh conditions generated by the coronavirus pandemic, adding that they had used lies, slander, and manipulation of facts to provoke people.
He said a large-scale anti-Cuba communication operation had been underway since June 23, when Havana presented the report ‘Necessity of ending the economic, commercial and financial blockade imposed by the United States of America on Cuba’ at the United Nations General Assembly.
The operation includes calls for violence, aggression against the authorities, and the assassination of leaders and promotes the irregular migratory flow, he said.
Rodriguez also denounced the so-called “SOS Cuba” campaign promoted on social networks as one of manipulation, warning that the campaign calls for a humanitarian intervention in Cuba, which means a U.S. military intervention that is against international and Cuban laws.
Protest rallies erupted against Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel’s government over the weekend. Thousands took to the streets in major cities demanding his resignation amid a worsening economic problems.
Mayor of Miami: Biden Should Consider
Airstrikes on Cuba
The Mayor of Miami stated that President Joe Biden should consider air raids on Cuba in support of Havana dissidents.
Miami Mayor Francis Suarez, the 43-year-old Miami-born lawyer whose father was the first-ever Cuban-born mayor of the South Florida city, told Fox News on Tuesday that the option of military air raids “has to be explored”.
“What should be contemplated right now is a coalition of potential military action in Cuba, similar to what has happened... in both Republican and Democrat administrations,” Suarez said.
He then referenced the 1989 American invasion of Panama under President George H.W. Bush and U.S.-led NATO strikes in Yugoslavia during the Kosovo War in 1999.
Suarez later told The Miami Herald that he was not advocating for airstrikes or any other form of military intervention, though he did say that policymakers should consider using the military in some capacity.