Sunday 16 May 2021
News ID: 89245
Publish Date: 17 April 2021 - 20:48
SANA’A (Dispatches) – Yemeni forces have struck King Khalid air base in the Saudi city of Khamis Mushait with explosive drones in a retaliatory attack, the Yemeni army’s military spokesman said on Twitter on Saturday.
Brigadier General Yahya Saree, who is the spokesman for Yemen’s Armed Forces, said on Saturday a domestically-manufactured Qasef-2K (Striker-2K) combat drone targeted King Khalid Air Base with ‘precision,’ Yemen’s Arabic-language al-Masirah television network reported.
Yemen’s Air Force conducted a number of operations against sensitive sites in Saudi Arabia last month, targeting the King Khalid Air Base and Abha International Airport, situated in the same province.
The general said the Riyadh regime’s ongoing campaign and crippling blockade against Yemen gave the armed forces grounds for retaliation.
In another development, the Yemen Petroleum Company (YPC) lashed out at U.S.-backed invading Saudi coalition for impounding Yemeni fuel tankers, calling the United Nations "a partner in the maritime piracy.”
"The U.S.-Saudi coalition keeps confiscating ships carrying Yemeni fuel under the auspices of the United Nations,” YPC Executive Director Ammar al-Adhrai said.
Al-Adhrai made the remarks during a protest held outside the UN office in the Yemeni capital Sana’a under the slogan "Denying the siege is an additional crime.”
"Since the beginning of 2021, only one ship carrying diesel has been able to enter Hudaydah,” he added, referring to the strategic port that is a lifeline for millions of Yemenis.
Adhrai warned that the lives of 26 million Yemenis will be at risk if the act of preventing Yemeni fuel vessels from entering Hudaydah continues.
"UN Special Envoy for Yemen Martin Griffiths must return to the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea that criminalizes acts of piracy. It is also the duty of all the countries of the world to make their utmost efforts to stop acts of piracy against any country …. The United Nations is involved in the maritime piracy,” the Yemeni official said.
In mid-March, he announced that the total damage caused by the U.S.-Saudi coalition’s seizure of tankers had reached $34.5 million this year.
Saudi Arabia launched the devastating war on its southern neighbor in March 2015 in collaboration with a number of its allied states, and with arms and logistics support from the U.S. and several other Western countries.
The aim was to return to power the Saudi-backed former regime and crush the popular Ansarullah movement which has been running state affairs in the absence of an effective government in Yemen.
The war has failed to achieve its goals, but killed tens of thousands of innocent Yemenis and destroyed the impoverished state’s infrastructure.
Fuel shortages have knocked out water pumps, generators in hospitals and disrupted aid supplies across the country.
Mohammed Ali al-Houthi, a member of the Supreme Political Council of Yemen, also denounced a recent statement by the UN Security Council that blamed the escalation in Ma’rib on the National Salvation Government.
He said the statement shows that the council lacks an honest approach towards the Yemen conflict, adding the 15-member body is a partner in the Saudi aggression against the Arab country.


Name:
Email:
* Comment: