Qatar Agrees to Iranian Expert Team Visit to Meet Injured Pilots: Official
TEHRAN -- Iran’s military missing persons search commander announced Saturday that Qatar has agreed to receive an Iranian expert team to meet with three Iranian pilots held in custody in the Persian Gulf state, describing the pilots as “severely wounded and ill”.
Brigadier General Muhammad Bagherzadeh, commander of the Missing Persons Search Committee of Iran’s Armed Forces General Staff, welcomed Qatar’s decision to accept the Iranian team and called for full cooperation.
Bagherzadeh said the location where the pilots are being held “on the water” is unsuitable for maintaining their health and urged Qatar to transfer them to land and a well-equipped hospital as soon as possible.
The announcement follows weeks of tension after Qatar’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson Majed Al Ansari last week “categorically denied” that pilots were being held in Qatar.
Doha had said its forces shot down two Iranian Su-24 bombers near the U.S. Al Udeid Air Base on March 2 during Iran’s broader military response to U.S.-Israeli strikes that began Feb. 28.
Bagherzadeh also referred to Kuwait’s “initial agreement” to allow Iran’s ambassador to meet with four Iranian nationals detained by Kuwait since May on charges of attempting to “infiltrate” Kuwaiti territory.
“This action has created a glimmer of hope for the swift release of these dear compatriots,” Bagherzadeh said.
He called on Kuwait to respect the rights of prisoners of war under the four Geneva Conventions and to facilitate initial contact between the captives and their families.
Bagherzadeh urged the International Committee of the Red Cross to send an air ambulance to Qatar to repatriate the pilots, who he said are in serious condition.
The commander identified the three pilots as Javad Salehi, Abdolmajid Dashtian and Emran Behrouzian, while confirming that Majid Kazemi, a fourth pilot, was martyred and his remains returned to Iran.