Tehran Revolutionary Court Holds Hearing on Mosque Arson
TEHRAN — A Revolutionary Court in Tehran held a hearing on the case of three defendants accused held over recent riots and the arson and destruction of the Jafari Mosque and Imam Hadi Seminary in the Kuy-e Nasr district of the capital, Iran’s judiciary said.
At the start of the session, the judge declared the court in session and said proceedings would begin against Ashkan Maleki, son of Ali-Heydar; Mehrdad Muhammadinia, son of Moharram; and Arman Marefati, son of Muhammad-Saleh, in the presence of an associate judge, defense lawyers, the prosecutor’s representative and other related parties.
The prosecutor’s representative read out the indictment and outlined the formation of the defendants’ criminal actions.
Referring to the charges against Maleki and Muhammadinia, the prosecutor’s representative said they were accused of carrying out operational actions for the Zionist regime, hostile governments and groups against national security with the capability of killing, destroying public and private property and creating fear and panic.
The charges include destruction of the mosque, setting fire to motorcycles inside the mosque, damaging traffic signs, blocking streets, and collusion to commit crimes against internal security through participation in the riots of January.
Regarding Marefati, the prosecutor’s representative initially said he was charged with collusion to commit crimes against internal security through participation in the January riots.
However, the judge, citing Article 280 of the Criminal Procedure Code, amended his charges to participation in operational actions against national security for the Zionist regime, the United States and hostile groups and their affiliates, resulting in fear and insecurity; entering religious holy places with intent to destroy and set fire to state, public and private property, including the mosque and seminary; and participating in damage estimated at no less than 50 billion tomans.
The prosecutor’s office requested convictions, citing relevant articles of the Islamic Penal Code
and the law on intensifying punishment for espionage and cooperation with hostile states.
At the judge’s order, images and video footage from the night of the incident, Jan. 19, were shown in court.
A representative of the mosque’s board of trustees said rioters entered the mosque that night, set fire to the custodian’s motorcycle, Qur’ans and prayer books, and that both the men’s and women’s prayer halls were completely burned. Officials from the seminary said heavy damage had affected their scientific, religious and cultural activities.
Maleki acknowledged being present during the riots and at the site of the mosque fire. “On the night of Jan. 19, there were two motorcycles inside the mosque which I set on fire,” he said.
According to the prosecutor’s representative, Maleki had stated that an unidentified woman handed them an incendiary substance and told them to set the mosque on fire. Maleki told the court he did not know the woman and that she had given them a black plastic bag containing an incendiary substance.
A court-appointed expert estimated the damage at around 50 billion tomans, adding that full demolition and reconstruction could cost up to 150 billion tomans.
Muhammadinia accepted being present and expressed remorse, saying he repented and was ashamed.
Marefati admitted moving two trash bins in front of the mosque but denied setting it on fire. He said he had previously served a prison sentence for theft.
The judge declared the session concluded and said the next hearing date would be announced later.