Ansarullah Gives Israel Four Days to Allow Gaza Aid
SANA’A (Dispatches) –
Ansarullah leader Abdul-Malik al-Houthi announced that the Yemeni resistance movement will resume its operations in the Red Sea if Israel does not allow aid into the Gaza Strip within four days.
“We will give a deadline of four days. This deadline is for the mediators for their efforts,” he said in a speech broadcast by Al-Masirah television.
“If the Israeli enemy after four days continues to prevent the humanitarian aid into Gaza and continues to completely close the crossings, we will resume our naval operations against the Israeli enemy. We will match their blockade with a blockade,” he added.
Following disagreements over the next stages of the truce agreement that put an end to the Israeli aggression on Gaza, the occupation forces announced the suspension of the entry of aid into the strip.
The move was widely condemned due to its negative repercussions on the 2.4 million residents of the Strip, who already face catastrophic humanitarian conditions.
During the war on Gaza, Yemeni forces targeted Israeli-linked ships in the Red Sea and the Arabian Sea and launched missiles and sea and air drones in support of the Palestinians in the Gaza Strip.
They sank two vessels, seized another and killed at least four people, forcing Israeli firms to re-route to longer and more expensive journeys around Southern Africa.
Houthi’s ultimatum comes days after the U.S. classified the Yemeni group as a foreign terrorist organization once again and imposed sanctions on seven of its senior leaders.
The Palestinian resistance group Hamas welcomed the ultimatum, saying “the brave decision … is an extension of the positions of support and assistance that they [the Yemenis] provided over the course of 15 months of war … in Gaza”.
It also called on the international community and the UN to take urgent action to stop the “starvation crime” being perpetrated by the Zionist regime against innocent civilians in Gaza.
Israel’s blockade on all aid into Gaza began on March 2 after the regime reneged on the ceasefire deal and sought to extend the first stage of the three-phased agreement that expired last week, without committing to ending the war on Gaza.
The United Nations, rights groups and countries around the world say the Israeli blockade could constitute a war crime.
The Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), in a statement on Friday, said the Israeli action has caused prices to soar in Gaza and resulted in anxiety over a return to bombardment and starvation.
Health authorities said at least eight babies, whose families have been sheltering in flimsy makeshift tents, have died from the cold in the past two weeks.
“As the occupying power, Israel has a legal obligation to ensure the provision of the necessities of life for Palestinians living under its control,” the OHCHR said. “Any denial of the entry of the necessities of life for civilians may amount to collective punishment. The use of hunger and starvation as a weapon of war is a war crime.”
Palestinians say the blockade has also resulted in shortages of medical supplies and left hospitals struggling to care for those wounded in the war.