kayhan.ir

News ID: 103034
Publish Date : 27 May 2022 - 21:16
A A
UNITED NATIONS (Xinhua/Arab News) – UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres condemns the recent attacks in Afghanistan’s capital Kabul and northern city of Mazar-i-Sharif, which have claimed the lives of numerous civilians, said his spokesman on Thursday.
“The secretary-general extends his deepest condolences to the families of the victims and wishes a swift recovery to those injured. Attacks against civilians and civilian objects, including mosques, are strictly prohibited under international humanitarian law,” said Stephane Dujarric, the spokesman, in a statement.
“The secretary-general reiterates his call on all parties to ensure the protection of civilians, including ethnic and religious minorities, as well as their right to freely practice their religion,” said the statement.
At least 14 people were killed and 32 others wounded in four explosions that rocked Kabul and Mazar-i-Sharif on Wednesday, authorities said.
In Kabul, at least five worshippers were killed and 17 others wounded after a blast ripped through the Hazrat-e-Zekria Mosque during evening prayers. The blast came about one hour after three consecutive explosions struck three van-buses in Mazar-i-Sharif, killing nine people and wounding 15 others.
Explosions have been a common occurrence in Afghanistan in recent months with Daesh terrorist group’s resurgence in the country.
Last month, a powerful blast hit a mosque in western Kabul during prayers, killing at least 10 people and wounding 20 others.
The explosion went off on April 29 at the Khalifa Aga Gul Jan Mosque, where hundreds of worshipers had gathered for prayers on the last Friday of the holy fasting month of Ramadan.
 
Quarter of Migrants Crossing English Channel Afghans
 
One in four migrants crossing the English Channel in the first quarter of the year 2022 are people fleeing Afghanistan, according to figures released by the UK Home Office.
The BBC reported 1,094 Afghans made the dangerous crossing in the first three months of 2022, almost as many as the 1,323 Afghans that attempted the crossing in the entirety of 2021. 
While the figures claim 90 percent of Afghans who made it to the UK were granted asylum, they do not include the UK’s two resettlement schemes set up in the wake of the Taliban takeover of the country in August.
The plans have faced criticism from politicians and sections of the public for leaving thousands of UK translators and others who worked for coalition forces behind after the UK withdrawal.
Compounding that failed operation, the numbers of non-Afghan refugees awaiting an asylum decision in the 12 months to March almost doubled from 66,000 to 109,000.
Refugee Council CEO Enver Solomon said: “Increased numbers waiting for a decision is desperately worrying, and it leaves thousands of vulnerable men, women and children trapped in limbo.
“Adults, banned from working, living hand to mouth on less than £6 ($7.55) and left not knowing what their future holds; this simply is not good enough,” he added.

 

Name:
Email:
* Comment: