WEST BANK (Dispatches) – Four Palestinians have been injured when Zionist occupation troops attacked a peaceful protest in the city of Nablus in the occupied West Bank.
Palestinians protested on Sunday at the entrance to the village of Luban e-Sharkiya, to the south of Nablus, according to local sources.
Yaaqoub Eweis, the mayor of the village, said the regime’s troops assaulted dozens of protesters who were demonstrating against the daily attacks by Zionist settlers and troops on the village’s students and the restrictions imposed on them.
Eweis said four of the protesters sustained minor injuries, while many others suffered breathing problems due to the inhalation of teargas fired by the troops.
Palestinian students have lost access to their schools in the village as a result of attacks by settlers and troops.
Meanwhile, the Palestinian Islamic Jihad condemned an assassination attempt against one of the resistance movement’s officials as a “clear crime” by the Zionist regime.
Palestinian media reported that Islamic Jihad official Khader Adnan had been targeted in a shooting attack by armed assailants in the West Bank city of Nablus on Saturday.
He visiting the families of the three Palestinians recently martyred in Nablus when he came under attack.
Adnan was unharmed, but the brothers of the three martyrs were injured in the failed assassination attempt.
Islamic Jihad Secretary General Ziyad al-Nakhalah expressed outrage at the incident, saying it was a “clear crime” and that the Zionist spy agency was behind it.
He also warned that the group considered the assassination attempt an attack against itself and thus would “act accordingly.”
Separately, Palestinian prisoners announced an open hunger strike in protest at the abusive conditions in the regime’s jails.
The Captive Movement announced that prisoners from all Palestinian factions in prisons were moving toward an open hunger strike, according to Palestinian sources.
Elsewhere in the occupied lands, members of the Palestinian family of Shawamreh embarked on demolishing their own home on the outskirts of the Israeli-occupied East Al-Quds neighborhood of Beit Hanina after they were pressed to do so by the all-Israeli municipality of the city.
The demolition came after regime authorities refused the Palestinian family’s claims of the land.
The Tel Aviv regime has been occupying the West Bank, including East Al-Quds, since taking the Palestinian territory by force in 1967.