News ID: 81255
Date: 31 July 2020 - 22:12
KYIV (Dispatches) -- Ukraine said on Friday that its first round of talks with Iran about the downing of a Ukrainian airliner shortly after takeoff in Tehran in January had been constructive.
All 176 people on board were killed the Ukraine International Airlines Boeing 737 jet was hit. Iran said they mistook the passenger plane for a missile at a time of high tensions with the United States.
"The talks ended late last night. The talks lasted 11 hours. In general, they were constructive,” Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba said in a video briefing after meeting with an Iranian delegation.
Kuleba said the sides had agreed the terms of next round of talks. Later on Friday, the Ukrainian prosecutor general’s office said the next round was set for October.
"And plan A is negotiations with Iran and the solution of all these issues and the payment of compensation. We saw Iran was disposed to a serious and substantive conversation,” he said.
President Volodymyr Zelenskiy said in February that Ukraine was not satisfied with the size of compensation Iran had offered to families of Ukrainians killed in the incident and Kuleba said on Thursday that Ukraine would make every effort to maximize compensations.
An international team has started examining the black box flight recorders from the plane.