DAMASCUS (Dispatches) – The Syrian Foreign Ministry has demanded the "immediate and unconditional withdrawal” of U.S. troops from Syria, according to the state news agency SANA.
In a statement, the ministry condemned the "hostile practices” of the U.S. troops in northeastern Syria.
It accused the U.S. forces of "systematic theft” of oil and agriculture resources in northern Syrian in addition to bringing in military reinforcement to that part of the country.
The administration of former U.S. president Donald Trump has destabilized the region and supported separatist movements in a bid to divide Syria and prevent reaching a political solution through supporting the "terrorist groups,” the ministry charged.
The ministry, meanwhile, called on the international community to condemn the U.S. moves and occupation of Syrian territories and denounce the "coercive and unilateral” sanctions imposed on Syria.
The Syrian government has repeatedly called for the withdrawal of the U.S. troops, slamming the U.S. claims that its troops are present in Syria to fight terrorist groups.
Syria’s deputy foreign minister says terrorist groups are covered by U.S. troops illegally based in his country to launch attacks on Syrian soldiers and civilians, calling for international cooperation led by the United Nations to curb them.
Bashar al-Ja’afari, who is also Syria’s permanent representative to the UN, made the remarks Thursday in a statement to a UN Security Council session on the situation in Syria via a video link.
He stressed that on top of the terror organizations being helped by U.S. troops are the two most notorious terrorist groups, namely Daesh and Jabhat al-Nusra.
"The hypocrisy of some states went far beyond to a hateful degree… from one side, the U.S. administration alleges its elimination of Daesh, and from another side, it reshapes and re-operates it to target my country, and this was witnessed many days before through the terrorist attacks against a civil bus and tankers which claimed the lives of tens of innocent Syrians,” he said.
Ja’afari was referring to two deadly attacks on January 3, when terrorists launched an attack against a bus in the Kabajib area in Dayr al-Zawr province and another attack against fuel tankers as well as civilian vehicles in al-Salamiyah district in Hama province.
Ja’afari noted that the two attacks had been carried out by the Daesh terrorists who came from an area controlled by U.S. troops in al-Tanf, which includes the al-Rukban camp.
He also said the U.S. and the European Union continue with their crippling sanctions and coercive measures against the Arab nation despite the fact that Syrians are suffering more from the COVID-19 pandemic, ignoring calls by the UN Security Council, the UN special envoy to Syria and scores of other senior representatives at the international organization to put an end to these "illegal measures.”