Tuesday 09 March 2021
News ID: 85614
Publish Date: 19 December 2020 - 21:48
KABUL (Dispatches) – Five rockets were fired at a major U.S. base in Afghanistan on Saturday, provincial officials said.
The rockets hit Bagram Airfield, said Wahida Shahkar, spokeswoman for the governor in northern Parwan province.
Shahkar said that 12 rockets were placed in a vehicle and five of them were fired while police were able to defuse seven others.
She couldn’t provide other details on any possible casualties or damage within the U.S. base. She said there are no casualties among civilians in the area.
A NATO official also confirmed the attack.
No one has immediately claimed responsibility. In April, the Daesh claimed responsibility for five rocket attacks on the base. There were no casualties.
A day earlier, at least 30 militants were killed in an airstrike on a gathering of Taliban militants in the Qarabagh district of the eastern Ghazni province on Friday, provincial government spokesman Wahidullah Jumazada said.
"A group of Taliban militants were gathered in Qarsi area of Qarabagh district to storm security checkpoints but the security forces’ fighting planes in pre-emptive action attacked the gathering in the wee hours of Friday, killing 30 on the spot,” Jumazada told Xinhua.
Ten more militants were injured in the raid, the official added.
No security personnel or civilians were harmed in the attack, Jumazada said.
So far, there have been no comments made by the Taliban militants who are active in parts of the Ghazni province with the Ghazni city as its capital, 125 km south of Kabul.
Earlier this week, U.S. Gen. Mark Milley, the chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff, held an unannounced meeting with Taliban representatives in the Qatari capital Doha to discuss military aspects of last February’s U.S.-Taliban agreement.
The agreement, signed in Qatar where the Taliban maintain a political office, was intended to set the stage for direct talks between the Taliban and the Afghan government.
After talks with the Taliban, Milley flew to Kabul to consult with Afghan President Ashraf Ghani. The talks seem to have failed, as the attacks have not subsided.

* Comment: