DAMASCUS (Dispatches) – Turkish forces started withdrawing from another base in Syria’s northwestern province of Idlib on Sunday, a war monitor reported.
After dismantling its equipment in the military observation point in the Mar Hatat area in the southern countryside of Idlib, the Turkish forces started their withdrawal on Sunday morning, said the so-called Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
Earlier this month, the UK-based watchdog group said the Turkish forces were withdrawing from an observation point in the Sher Maghar area in Hama province.
The withdrawals are part of Turkish-Russian agreements that will see Turkish withdrawal from areas that have been recaptured by the Syrian army.
Earlier this month, Turkish troops completely withdrew from a military base in northwest Syria, which was surrounded by Syrian government forces last year.
Syria’s official news agency SANA reported last Monday that Turkish soldiers fully pulled out of the observation post at Morek, which had been set up by Ankara under the 2018 Sochi agreement to stop fighting between Syrian army troops and Turkish-backed militants controlling northern Syria.
The Sochi agreement was inked between Russian President Vladimir Putin and his Turkish counterpart, Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
Under the deal, all militants in a demilitarized zone that surrounds Idlib and also parts of the provinces of Aleppo and Hama were supposed to pull out heavy arms by October 17, 2018, and terrorist groups had to withdraw two days earlier. Foreign-sponsored terrorists have, however, refused to abide by the de-escalation zone.