Saturday 08 August 2020
News ID: 81323
Publish Date: 02 August 2020 - 21:43
WELLINGTON (Reuters) - Australia’s Nick Kyrgios has withdrawn from the U.S. Open and again criticized some of his fellow professionals for their decisions to ignore health advice during the coronavirus pandemic.
Kyrgios follows compatriot and women’s world number one Ash Barty, who withdrew from the Aug. 31-Sept. 13 tournament earlier this week.
"I will not be playing this year at the U.S. Open,” Kyrgios said in a video on social media on Sunday.
"It hurts me at my core not to be out there competing in one of the sport’s greatest arenas, Arthur Ashe Stadium.
"But I’m sitting out for the people, for my Aussies, for the hundreds and thousands of Americans that have lost their lives, for all of you. It’s my decision.”
Kyrgios had no problems with the USTA scheduling the tournament or players competing if they chose, "so long as everyone acts appropriately and acts safely”.
The 25-year-old said he recognized that lower-wage employees at the event, such as restaurant staff, cleaners and locker room attendants, needed the tournament to take place.




Name:
Email:
* Comment: