SANAA (Dispatches) -- Yemeni armed forces have pounded facilities belonging to the state-run oil giant Saudi Aramco as well as strategic targets inside the kingdom’s western province of Madinah, a high-ranking Yemeni military official said on Friday.
The spokesman for Yemeni armed forces, Brigadier General Yahya Saree, said in a press conference in the capital Sana’a that Yemeni missile operators together with air defense units launched the Third Balance of Deterrence Operation and struck energy facilities in addition to sensitive sites in the Saudi port city of Yanbu, situated about 165 kilometers west of Medina.
Saree, quoted by Al-Masirah TV said Yemen targeted oil installations in the kingdom with 12 Sammad-3 drones, two cruise missiles and a ballistic missile and the targets "were hit with precision”.
He promised further attacks against Saudi Arabia in "case of continued aggression and economic blockade”.
He went on to say that Yemeni armed forces reserve the right to respond to crimes being perpetrated by the Saudi-led military alliance against the Yemeni nation – the last of which took place on February 15 when more than 30 civilians were killed and many more sustained injuries in airstrikes on Yemen’s northern province of Jawf.
Saree also highlighted that the Saudi regime will suffer more painful strikes if it continues its onslaught against Yemen.
His remarks came after Saudi Arabia claimed that it intercepted missiles fired towards its cities by Houthi fighters.
Yemen’s capital Sanaa "has become a Houthi militia assembly, installation and launching hub for ballistic missiles that target the kingdom,” said Saudi military spokesman Turki al-Maliki, in a statement released Thursday by the official Saudi Press Agency.
Saudi Arabia militarily intervened in support of a former Yemeni regime in 2015 when former president Abed Rabbuh Mansour Hadi resigned and then fled to the kingdom.
Since then, the Saudi war has killed tens of thousands of people,
many of them civilians, relief agencies say.
The war has triggered what the United Nations describes as the world’s worst humanitarian crisis, with millions displaced and in need of aid.
On Thursday, the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) said 19 children were among dozens of civilians killed in air raids carried out by Saudi aircraft in Yemen’s northern Al-Jawf province.
"UNICEF is sad to confirm that the recent attack in Al-Jawf, north of Yemen, on February 15, took the lives of 19 children (eight boys and 11 girls) and injured another 18 (nine boys and another nine girls),” the UN children’s agency said in a statement.
The "worrying escalation of violence over the past few weeks is a harsh reminder that children in Yemen continue to carry the heaviest burden of the conflict,” the statement read.
More than 30 civilians were killed and many more sustained injuries in the Saudi airstrikes in Al-Jawf.
Saudi warplanes reportedly carried out eight air raids against residential neighborhoods in the Maslub district of Jawf province.
The Saudi aerial attacks came as locals gathered to watch the wreckage of a Tornado multirole combat aircraft of the Royal Saudi Air Force shot down by Yemeni air defense units
Saree said on Thursday Yemeni armed forces are to unveil new domestically-designed and -developed air defense systems in the near future.
The air defense systems enjoy advanced and state-of-the-art technology, and have successfully managed to show down several reconnaissance aircraft and fighter jets operated by Saudi Arabia and its allies waging a war on Yemen, he said.