TEHRAN (Dispatches) -- An Iranian oil tanker that was recently hit by two missiles in a suspicious attack in waters off the Saudi coast in the Red Sea has entered Iran’s territorial waters.
According to the National Iranian Tanker Company (NITC), the Sabiti returned home on Monday and will dock in the southern Kharg Island in two days to unload its cargo and undergo technical and security checks.
The vessel would then be taken to the port city of Bandar Abbas for repair at a special yard, it said.
The NITC noted that Iran Shipbuilding and Offshore Industries Complex Co (ISOICO) will do all repairs for the Sabiti.
On October 11, the NITC reported that the Sabiti had been hit by two separate explosions near the Saudi port city of Jeddah. The blasts caused an oil spill that was stopped shortly after.
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani has said the attack was undoubtedly carried out by a regime with the help of some regional countries.
"What is certain is that a regime with the help of some regional countries has been behind this and we are conducting a probe to see what has happened,” Rouhani said in a press conference.
Iran's Foreign Minister Muhammad Javad Zarif also said last week that the attack on the oil tanker in the Red Sea was a "complicated action” in which "one or more governments” were involved.
The secretary of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council has said the country will give a strong response to those behind the attack.
"We will give a response that will make those behind the attack on the Iranian vessel and those seeking to create a new wave of tension in the region regret their act,” Ali Shamkhani said.