GAZA STRIP (Dispatches) – The Zionist regime says its warplanes have launched a new airstrike against a position of the Palestinian resistance movement Hamas in the besieged Gaza Strip, after the regime allegedly intercepted a rocket fired from the enclave into the Israeli-occupied territories.
The Israeli military said in a Twitter post that the airstrike had been conducted in the early hours of Thursday against an "underground network” located at a "military compound of Hamas in the southern Gaza Strip.”
It was not clear whether the strike had caused any damage or casualties.
In early May, the occupying regime and Hamas reached a truce agreement after exchanges of fire during which the regime heavily bombarded the blockaded sliver and hundreds of rockets were fired from the enclave at the occupied territories, the largest outbreak of violence since the 2014 Gaza war.
The Thursday strike came shortly after the regime tightened fishing restrictions against the Gaza Strip, claiming that a barrage of incendiary balloons had been launched from the coastal enclave.
"Due to the continuous launching of incendiary balloons and kites from the Gaza Strip towards Israel, it has been decided tonight (Wednesday) not to allow access to Gaza’s maritime space until further notice,” said a spokesperson for COGAT, a unit of the Zionist regime’s war ministry, in a statement.
The regime maintains a heavy naval presence off the coast of the impoverished Palestinian enclave, severely affecting the livelihood of some 4,000 fishermen and at least 1,500 more people involved in the fishing industry.
Over the past few years, Zionist troops have carried out more than a hundred attacks on Palestinian boats, arresting dozens of fishermen and confiscating several boats.
Smoke billows from a targeted neighborhood in Gaza during an Israeli airstrike on the Palestinian enclave on May 5, 2019.