SANAA (Dispatches) – A cholera epidemic, which has killed more than 2,000 people in Yemen, continues to claim unborn children amid the ongoing Saudi military campaign against the impoverished nation.
One of the latest victims of the cholera epidemic died in her mother’s womb in the western port city of Hudaydah.
Following her health deterioration, her mother Safaa Issa Kaheel, then nine months pregnant, was brought into a crowded clinic in the city by her husband.
Once there, she was referred by a nurse for an ultrasound scan that showed her baby had died of dehydration.
"My stomach started hurting more and more. I felt death,” said Kaheel, adding, "Thank God I survived the (delivery), but my diarrhea hasn’t stopped.”
According to doctors at the city’s Thawra hospital, at least 15 unborn children perished in the womb in September and October due to cholera.
Cholera is an acute diarrheal infection that is spread through contaminated food or water. It can be effectively treated with the immediate replacement of lost fluids and salts, but without treatment it can be fatal.
In another incident in Yemen, Yemeni army soldiers and allied fighters from Popular Committees have fired a ballistic missile at a Saudi army command center in Saudi Arabia’s southwestern Jizan region, the Yemeni military says.
A military source told Arabic-language al-Masirah television network on Tuesday that the medium-range Qaher M-2 missile had precisely hit the target.
He said the missile strike came following precise reconnaissance and killed a large number of Saudi troops as well as mercenaries and injured dozens more.
He further warned that the Yemeni forces were in full readiness and would surprise Saudi troops in the near future with their missiles strikes.
Separately on Tuesday, a Yemeni sniper shot dead a Saudi soldier at a military base in Saudi Arabia’s southwestern Asir region.
Yemeni forces regularly fire ballistic missile at positions inside Saudi Arabia in retaliation for Saudi military strikes on Yemen.
The Saudi-led war, which began in March 2015, has been accompanied by a naval and aerial blockade on Yemen. It has so far killed over 12,000 people and led to a humanitarian crisis and a cholera outbreak.
Saudi Arabia launched the offensive to eliminate Yemen’s Houthi movement and reinstall a Riyadh-friendly regime there.