Thursday 30 March 2017
News ID: 35450
Publish Date: 11 January 2017 - 20:31


SANAA (Dispatches) – At least three Yemenis have been killed in separate attacks by the Saudi military targeting western Yemen.
On Wednesday, the Saudi aircraft bombarded the port city of al-Hudaydah in west-central Yemen, killing two people, Yemen’s al-Masirah television network reported.
Separately, Saudi border guards opened fire at residential structures in a village in the Monabbih district of Sa’ada Province, which is located in Yemen’s extreme northwest. The attack left a civilian dead.
Saudi warplanes also dropped cluster bombs on the Wadi al-Jarrah base controlled by Yemeni forces in the kingdom’s Jizan region.
Also on Wednesday, counterattacks by Yemeni snipers shot dead two Saudi troops at Jizan’s al-Farizah military base.
Yemeni forces also aborted an attempt by Saudi-allied militants to advance in al-Ghayl District of the northwestern Yemen al-Jawf Province.
The operation killed and injured a number of the militants.

UK Complicity

The United Kingdom exported 500 cluster bombs to Saudi Arabia in the 1980s which the country used in its war on Yemen, an official report shows.
"The UK delivered 500 BL755 cluster munitions under a government-to-government agreement signed in 1986. The final delivery was made in 1989,” reads a letter by Defense Secretary Michael Fallon to Conservative MP Philip Hollobone.
In December, Fallon said that a "limited number” of British cluster munitions were being used by Saudi-led forces in Yemen. In the same month, Saudi Arabia itself admitted to using the British weapons against its southern neighbor.
Even though Riyadh has told the British government that it would no longer use the weapons, it has not yet confirmed that they were destroyed, Foreign Office Minister Tobias Ellwood told the House of Commons on Tuesday.
"The fact so many British-made cluster bombs were sold and are now being used in Yemen is a stain on the UK's reputation worldwide,” said Liberal Democrat shadow Foreign Secretary Tom Brake.
"Michael Fallon has an urgent responsibility to address this shameful legacy, by suspending arms sales to the Saudi regime and putting pressure on it to stop using these horrific weapons.”
"Most people are rightly sickened by the bombing of innocent civilians in Yemen. Our Government must end its complicity in this brutal conflict immediately,” he added.
The Saudi war against Yemen, which started in March 2015, has so far killed over 11,400 people, according to the latest tally by a Yemeni monitoring group.
The invasion is aimed at restoring power to Riyadh-allied former Yemeni president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi.
The Yemeni army, backed by Ansarullah fighters and allied popular forces, has been defending the country against the Saudi aggression.



Name:
Email:
* Comment: